Barkley Sound kept his perfect Tampa Bay Downs record intact by winning the $75,000 Pasco Stakes for 3-year-olds Saturday in the time of 1:24.1 for the seven-furlong distance.
Barkley Sound entered stakes company for the first time for trainer Joan Scott with a maiden special weight and an allowance win over the surface at Saturday's distance. He broke from the starting gate as the second choice of the wagering public in a field of 10.
Ridden by Enrique Jurado for owner Pinebloom Stable, Barkley Sound ($7.20, $4, $3.20) pressed the pacesetters while three wide before making his winning bid in the stretch after fractions of :22 1/5 and :45.
Steelix ($5.40, $4), ridden by Raymundo Fuentes, was also part of the pace battle after a rough start, taking the lead following the completion of the opening quarter-mile and leading the field until collared mid-stretch by Barkley Sound. The winning margin was one length. Dippi Trippi ($3.40), with Alfredo Clemente aboard, finished another length behind in third. Post time favorite Got The Last Laugh failed to respond in the stretch and retreated to finish fifth.
The win, worth $42,500, drove Barkley Sound's earnings to more than $72,000. The bay colt by Dixieland Band--Class On Class (by Jolie's Halo) has three trips to the winner's circle from five starts. Milton and Beth Hendry and W.S. Farish bred the winner in Florida.
Scott said no decision has been made on the next start for Barkley Sound.
Most Popular Stories
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- New Standards May be Imposed on NY Stewards
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered