Hobeau Farm's 4-year-old filly Swap Fliparoo signaled her readiness for Saturday's $300,000 Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Sprint with a three-furlong :35 2/5 blowout Wednesday morning at Gulfstream Park under jockey Javier Castellano.
Trainer Allen Jerkens was poker-faced after the breeze by the 3-1 morning line favorite. After walking Swap Fliparoo back to the barn, the 77-year-old trainer was working his mobile phone making sure the roan/gray daughter of Exchange Rate was fully and completely entered in the six-furlong contest.
“I just want to make sure,” he said while dialing from astride his pony. “At my age, I forget things a little faster than when I was younger.
“Swap Fliparoo does most of her running from off the pace,” he said. “(Castellano) started this work a little slower than I wanted, but that might be her. It's hard to figure sometimes whether to use a jockey for a workout or an exercise rider. You've got to handicap it right. You've got to handicap from the time you get up in the morning.”
NBC-TV will broadcast the Sunshine Millions, an eight-race series at Gulfstream and Santa Anita restricted to Florida and California-breds, from 4 to 6 p.m. (ET).
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- Honor Code to Bypass Rebel, Run at Gulfstream
- Sweet Reason Comes Back a Winner
- Midshipman Colt Posts Fastest Ocala Drill
- Big 'Cap was 'Holy Grail' for Trainer Jones
- Stakes Winner S. S. Hot Sauce Dead at 33
- Geeky Gorgeous Named New Jersey Horse of Year
- Haskin: 'Horseplayers' and Pioneer Days
- Full OBS March Sale to be Conducted Tuesday