Spencers Storm, a 6-year-old mare by Old Trieste in foal to Victory Gallop, was sold to Over The Top Farm for $57,000 to top the first open session of the Ocala Breeders’ Sales Company’s 2007 Winter Mixed Sale.
Consigned by Three Roses Stable, the chestnut mare out of Cindy’s Quest, by Storm Cat, is a half sister to stakes winner Honor the Flag.
Alton “Bud” Ison went to $55,000 for the session’s highest priced yearling, Boozer, a colt by Alke consigned by Sue Vacek LLC, acting as agent. The chestnut colt is out of Gorilla Mist, by Saint Ballado, a half sister to stakes winner Roy Jones.
For the session, 183 horses sold for a total of $1,124,000 compared with 211 horses grossing $1,123,500 in last year’s only open session. The average was $6,142, up 15.3% from $5,325 last year, while the median price was $4,000 compared with $2,700 in 2006. The buyback percentage was 27.9%; it was 21.5% a year ago.
The Winter Mixed Sale continues Saturday at 11 a.m. with the final open session.
Most Popular Stories
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru