Peter Miller did not enter Fast Parade in the HK$12 million Hong Kong Sprint, to be run Dec. 10, because the horse "isn't himself," the trainer said. Fast Parade had shipped from California to Hong Kong for the Sprint, one of four group I races that comprise the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Races at Sha Tin Racecourse, but has failed to thrive with the long journey. That leaves Rebel Rebel in the HK$16 million Hong Kong Mile as the sole U.S. representative."He's just not doing right," Miller said Thursday morning at Sha Tin, shortly before taking Fast Parade out on the track. "He's not eating. It's a long way for a horse to travel."Miller rode Fast Parade out onto Sha Tin's all-weather surface, which sits inside of the main turf course, to judge how the 3-year-old gelding was feeling. "I'm just going to give him an easy trot," the trainer said. That exercise confirmed Miller's sense that Fast Parade would not be able to perform to his best, and so he did not enter him for the barrier draw later in the morning."I don't want to jeopardize next year for one race," Miller said.
"It's unfortunate, because I believe he could have won. Sometimes, just the shipping can knock them out of it."Gary and Cecil Barber own Fast Parade, a Washington-bred son of Delineator -- Parade of Gold, by Prospectors Gamble. The gelding earned an invitation to the Hong Kong Sprint after setting a course record of :54.75 for five furlongs while winning the Aug. 16 Green Flash Handicap at Del Mar (with subsequent TVG Breeders' Cup Sprint, gr. I, winner Thor's Echo in fourth) and the Nearctic Stakes (Can-II) at Woodbine Oct. 22.
Most Popular Stories
- NY-Bred Stakes Program Adds 2014 Enhancements
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident