Trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, Somethinaboutlaura scored by four lengths over Royal Kleven in 1:41.90 and paid $2.80 to win.
"Coming out of the first turn she wanted to go after the leader (Breeze Along)," said Baze. "I took a hold and she relaxed a bit. At the three-eighths pole, I let her go after that horse and she had no trouble reeling her in.
"I saw how far in front she was, so I let her ease up the last part of it," continued Baze. "She really doesn't feel like she's going that fast, so I was surprised when I saw the time. She's just a really nice filly."
The Autumn Leaves is the third straight stakes triumph for Somethinaboutlaura, who entered the race off wins in the California Cup Matron at Santa Anita and the Pacific Heights Handicap at Golden Gate Fields.
Somethinaboutlaura, a California-bred daughter of Dance Floor, earned her 10th victory in 19 career starts and Saturday's payday of $39,475 boosted her earnings to $540,460. Hollendorfer, Charles Miller, John Sikura, and George Todaro own the 4-year-old filly in partnership.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes