Slew Peg, a 3-year-old filly by 2000 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Fusaichi Pegasus , set a track record for the mile on the all-weather track at Turfway Park Wednesday night. Slew Peg won the ninth race of the evening in 1:36.37. The previous record for the mile was 1:37.31, set by Artemus Sunrise on Oct. 1, 2005.Slew Peg won going nearly gate to wire by nearly three lengths in the night's feature race, a $26,000 allowance for fillies and mares.In the irons was apprentice jockey Julien Leparoux, the nation's top rider by wins and the current leader of the Turfway Park meet with nine wins from 28 mounts.Trained by Patrick Biancone, Slew Peg now has three wins from six career starts and is perfect in two efforts at Turfway. The record-setting race was her second start off a 10-month layoff and her first win this year. She has posted three bullets in four works over the Turfway track in the past month.Out of the Seattle Slew mare Slew Princess, Slew Peg was bred in Kentucky by Whisperwood Farm and is owned by Gulf Coast Farms.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Conquest Titan, Vinceremos Loom in Tampa Bay