Jockey Jose Lezcano, second in the Monmouth Park jockey standings, was taken to Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch on Wednesday after being unseated by his mount Hermosillo during the running of the ninth race at the Oceanport, N.J., track.
"He was complaining of pain in his lower back," said Dr. Angelo Chinnici, medical director for the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority. "We sent him for pre-cautionary x-rays of his pelvis."
Hermosillo ducked out just before the wire and was unseated prior to crossing the finish line.
Through Wednesday's card Lezcano has 61 wins from 276 mounts.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes