Meanwhile, runaway Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) winner Sinister Minister turned in his final work, going five-eighths of a mile in 1:00 1/5 and galloping out six furlongs in 1:12 4/5, with jockey Garrett Gomez up. "It was a good work, not a 'wow' work," trainer Bob Baffert said. "He looked good back at the barn." "He went off strong at first and pulled a little, but then he relaxed and began to pick it up at the sixteenth pole," Gomez said of the Old Trieste colt campaigned by Bernard Schiappa, Lanni Family Trust, and Mercedes Stable.
One other Derby candidate who breezed five furlongs Saturday was Sharp Humor, who got the distance in :59 under jockey Mark Guidry. "I was real pleased," trainer Dale Romans said. "He could not be doing any better. He (Guidry) couldn't get him to pull up. He wanted to go around there again."The son of Distorted Humor , who races for Purdedel Stable and WinStar Farms (lessee), won the Swale Stakes (gr. II) among his four victories in seven starts.Contributing to this report were Ron Mitchell, Dan Liebman, Lenny Shulman, and Leslie Deckard.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29