"The way the race is shaping up was the deciding factor," he said of the Derby. "We just think there will be a lot of speed in the race. He'll fly to Kentucky Tuesday."Hall of Fame jockey Russell Baze, his regular rider, will get the Derby assignment. Baze also was aboard for the workout over a cuppy racetrack."I tried to make him work a little more the whole way to make sure there was plenty of air in him," Baze said. The fractions were :24 2/5, :48 2/5 and 1:00 2/5.Baze has had only one Derby start, finishing 14th in 1996 aboard Semoran.
"It's still two weeks away, anything can happen," Baze said. "I've been awful close before and didn't get there. We'll wait and see. But right now, it's a 'go.'"Hollendorfer has had only one prior Derby starter, Eye of the Tiger, who finished fifth in 2003. Two potential Derby starters – Event of the Year in 1998 and Globalize in 2000 – were injured at Churchill Downs in the final days before the race.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe
- Palace Malice Returns a Winner in GP Handicap
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- Ring Weekend Springs Tampa Bay Derby Upset
- Sahara Sky Storms to Second San Carlos Win
- Winning Prize Streaks Home in Kilroe Mile
- Indian Charlie Son Drills Fast Furlong at OBS
- Top Billing Off Derby Trail With Fracture
- Euphrosyne Elevated to Honeybee Victory