Cayenne Red set a track record for 5 1/2 furlongs at Turfway Park Friday night in winning the 10th race in 1:04.46, breaking the previous record of 1:04.72 set on Dec. 30, which also belonged to Cayenne Red.
Sent off at 6-5 and carrying a $40,000 tag, Cayenne Red led gate to wire to win the optional claiming race. Jason Lumpkins was aboard for the gelding's record-breaking sprint.
A 5-year-old Ohio-bred by Cat's Career out of Willann, Cayenne Red is owned by Kendall Hansen and has been trained for his last three starts by Grant Hofmans. From 24 career starts, he has a 13-4-3 record and earnings of $197,409. In four starts at Turfway, all on Polytrack, he has three wins and one third.
Most Popular Stories
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Dissident, Appearance Win at Royal Randwick
- Trainer Chuck Treece Collects 1,000th Win
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Apprentice Boulanger Guides in First Winner
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts
- Lexington Tracks Eye Instant Racing Licenses
- WV Racing, Breeding Take 10% Revenue Hit
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity