Heavenly Humor, who romped to a five-length victory in the 2005 running of the Soviet Problem, had to work much harder to win Saturday's six-furlong sprint for fillies and mares.
Ridden by Russell Baze, Heavenly Humor ran down Fire Bolt in the final yards to win by a head in 1:09.27 on track rated wet-fast. Aclevershadeofjade finished third, three-quarters of a length behind Fire Bolt.
Hollendorfer won the final four stakes at Golden Gate Fields' fall season and has taken the first three stakes at Bay Meadows' holiday meet.
The 59-year-old trainer owns Heavenly Humor in partnership with Jerry Jamgotchian. Hollendorfer said Saturday's race may have been the 5-year-old mare's swan song.
"She ran gamely," said Hollendorfer. "This is likely the last go-round for her. I'd like to race her another year, but she's so valuable as a breeding prospect that we will breed her to a nice horse. We are looking at several prospects."
In 15 career starts, the Kentucky-bred daughter of Distorted Humor recorded seven wins, three seconds, and a third. Five of Heavenly Humor's wins came in stakes events. She earned $246,595 in her career.
Heavenly Humor paid $4 as the even-money favorite in a field of five. The payoff was probably generous considering Heavenly Humor's record at Bay Meadows. She went into the race with five wins and a second from seven starts at the Peninsula track.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- NY-Bred Stakes Program Adds 2014 Enhancements
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident