This year's Festival of the Sun stakes races are worth a total of $1.5 million, headed by the $400,000 My Dear Girl division and the $400,000 In Reality division of the Florida Stallion Stakes.
The $200,000 Calder Oaks, $200,000 Smile Sprint, $100,000 Shocker T., $100,000 Spend A Buck and $100,000 Flying Pidgeon round out an outstanding afternoon of competition. During last year's Festival, 2-year-old Express Tour completed a sweep of the Florida Stallion Stakes and Forty One Carats set a new track record for six furlongs. Also on the 2001 Calder stakes schedule are nine races supported in part by the Florida Thoroughbred Breeders and Owners Association (FTBOA) Purse Enhancement Fund. Six of the races are restricted to Florida-breds and have purses of $50,000 each. Three stakes will be offered at $60,000 ($40,000 plus $20,000 from the FTBOA fund for registered Florida-breds). Not on the stakes schedule, but noteworthy, are six overnight stakes of $50,000 each ($30,000 plus $20,000 from the FTBOA fund for registered Florida-breds). The races enhanced by the FTBOA fund all carry 'black type' status and are expected to benefit all participants. Calder Race Course will open on Wed., May 23 for simulcasting; however, the first 'live' race day will be Thurs., May 24. Post time is 12:30 p.m.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity