Leading European 3-year-old filly Shawanda and multiple group I winner Valixir are among four horses that Godolphin Stables has purchased from the Aga Khan.Winner of this year's Darley Irish Oaks (Ire-I) and Prix Vermeille (Fr-I), Shawanda, a daughter of Sinndar, was last seen in action when finishing sixth in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe (Fr-I).Also joining Godolphin are the 4-year-olds Valixir and Caradak and another 3-year-old filly, Oiseau Rare. Valixir posted back-to-back group I victories this year in Longchamp's Prix d'Ispahan May 22 and the Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot's York meeting three weeks later. But the son of Trempolino tailed off late in the season and concluded the year with a 10th-place finish in the NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) at Belmont Park."We are pleased to have added these horses to our team for 2006," Godolphin racing manager Simon Crisford said in a press release. "Valixir and Caradak will probably be seen in action at Nad Al Sheba in the spring. "Shawanda and Oiseau Rare will also stay in training and when they eventually retire, they will be great additions to Sheikh Mohammed's broodmare band."A daughter of King's Best, Oiseau Rare won the Prix de Royallieu (Fr-II) at Longchamp last month.Caradak, by Desert Style, won a pair of group III races for trainer John Oxx before finishing second, beaten by a head, in the Prix de la Foret (Fr-I) at Longchamp in his most recent start.
Most Popular Stories
- Live Chat - Friday, March 7 at NOON EST
- Palace Malice's Wins to Benefit Research
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Indiana Downs Has New Name as Part of Rebrand
- Wildcat Red Stretches Speed Toward Classics
- Instant Racing Measure Advances in Nebraska
- TimeformUS Weekend Stakes Plays
- KEEP Opposes Open-Ended Gambling Measure
- CHRB Begins Cobalt Testing
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.