Jockey John Velazquez attained the highest mark in yearly purses ever won by a North American-based jockey with his third-place finish aboard India in the $105,200 Valley Stream Stakes Sunday at Aqueduct. Through Nov. 20, last year's Eclipse Award-winning jockey has $23,356,456 in purse earnings.
Velazquez's six mounts at Aqueduct produced total purse earnings of $39,078, including $10,792 from India in his final ride of the afternoon. Velazquez started the day $37,582 off Jerry Bailey's purse-earnings mark of $23,354,960 set in 2003.
India's trainer, Todd Pletcher, picked up $70,077 in purses from his seven starters today, but remains more than $300,000 shy of Bobby Frankel's single-season record of $19,143,289. Through November 20, Pletcher is the North American money-leading trainer with $18,831,426 in stable earnings for 2005.
Velazquez's earnings include a victory in the $6 million Dubai World Cup (UAE-I) aboard Roses In May in March.
Most Popular Stories
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- Breeders' Cup Ramps Up Recruiting in Europe
- Trainer D'Angelo Dies at 55
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Concern, Tuscalee Inducted into Maryland Hall
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Bogdan, Former NY Breeders Lobbyist, Dies
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- 'Night of the Stars' to Benefit CKRH