McCann's Mojave will attempt to carry his speed further than ever before when the 5-year-old runs in Sunday's $250,000 California Cup Classic presented by Smith Barney, the closing day feature presented by the Oak Tree Racing Association at Santa Anita.
The bay son of Memo trained by Paddy Gallagher will stretch out to 1 1/8 miles after finishing fifth, beaten 2 ½ lengths, in the six-furlong Ancient Title (gr. I) on Oct. 8."He won going a mile (by a head) as a 3-year-old," Gallagher said. "I know it's asking a bit going a mile and an eighth but the plan is to get him to relax."
Alex Solis rides McCann's Mojave for the first time.
"I don't know much about him," Solis said. "I just know he's a very nice horse and he loves to win, so those kind of horses are easy to ride. Just get them to settle and they will do the rest."
McCann's Mojave has a 6-2-0 record from 14 starts, with earnings of $405,380 for owners Nikke Hunt and Mike Willman.Probable for the $250,000 Classic presented by Smith Barney: Carano, Garrett Gomez, 115; Cheroot, no rider, 113; Desert Boom, no rider, 122; El Don, no rider, 119; McCann's Mojave, Alex Solis, 118; Mr. Joe C, Martin Pedroza, 114; Texcess, no rider, 116; Thor's Echo, Corey Nakatani, 115; and Deputy Doc Renzi, Pat Valenzuela, 113.
Most Popular Stories
- Campaign to Expose Newcomers to Horses
- After the Wire: Santa Anita Handicap
- Pressure Off Sherman After 'Chrome's Dazzler
- Judy the Beauty Splendid in Las Flores Score
- Expectations High for OBS 2-Year-Old Sale
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Ramseys' Major Marvel Takes Barbados Gold Cup
- Darley Sire Lonhro Enters Australian Hall
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Golden Gate Fields Adds Alcatraz Stakes