Wilko, upset winner of the 2004 Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) who has been out of action since the Triple Crown, breezed three furlongs Friday morning at Hollywood Park in :38 3/5 in his first step toward a return to the races in the Strub series.The age-restricted Strub series begins with the Malibu Stakes (gr. I) for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita on Dec. 26.
"He looks good," trainer Craig Dollase said. "It was a nice, easy breeze and he did it the right way. It's nice to have him back."
Wilko had been sidelined some 90 days after having a chip removed from his right ankle. The diminutive colt ran sixth in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and 12th in the Preakness (gr. I), where he bled.
Following the-seven furlong Malibu, the Strub series consists of the San Fernando Breeders' Cup at 1 1/16 miles and the Strub Stakes at 1 1/8 miles, both for 4-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail