Greg Hall of the (Louisville) Courier-Journal earned his first Red Smith award as his entry was judged best in the Feature division. Hall was joined by repeat winners that included his Courier-Journal colleague Jennie Rees, who was honored for her Sunday Wrap-up; Dick Jerardi of the Philadelphia Daily News in the Advance division; and Haskin.
Each of the winners will receive an engraved silver equine-themed serving tray to be presented during the annual National Turf Writers Association Awards Dinner, which is scheduled for Oct. 26 at Jericho Terrace in Mineola, N.Y. The awards are named in honor of Walter W. "Red" Smith, the Pulitzer Prize-winning sportswriter and columnist who was best known for his work with the New York Herald Tribune and New York Times. Smith died in 1982 and Churchill Downs established the Red Smith Writing Contest the following year.
Most Popular Stories
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014