Saturday's field is the largest in Santa Anita Handicap recent history since 1987 when Broad Brush won.
Bob Baffert, who trains both Wooden Phone and Tribunal, said many owners are probably willing to take a shot at Tiznow because of his recent setbacks.
"People are figuring that if Tiznow doesn't show up, they have a pretty good shot," he said. "If Tiznow doesn't run his race, it is a wide-open field. But Tiznow is still the horse to beat."Baffert said Wooden Phone's training regimen was interrupted by a virus that knocked him out for a week. He doesn't know how the colt will respond but said is willing to take another crack at Tiznow."He really surprised us last time but we are definitely the underdog once again," Baffert said.After nearly a week of rain in Southern California, the forecast calls for sunny skies for Big 'Cap day.
Two horses, Nurdlinger and Moonlight Charger, are coupled in a field bet.From the rail the post positions, with jockeys and morning line odds, are: Perssonet (Brice Blanc) 20-1; Wooden Phone (Cory Nakatani) 5-1; Beat All (Gary Stevens) 12-1; Irisheyesareflying (Kent Desormeaux) 10-1; Tiznow (Chris McCarron) 8-5; Nurdlinger (Jose Valvidia) 30-1; Jimmy Z (Victor Espinoza) 12-1; Guided Tour (Larry Melancon) 6-1; Moonlight Charger (Tyler Baze) 30-1; Tribunal (David Flores) 15-1; Jarrocks (Garret Gomez) 30-1; Lethal Instrument (Laffit Pincay Jr. ) 15-1; Bienamado (Alex Solis) 8-1.
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Native Diver to Receive New Resting Place
- Mining My Own Produces Bodemeister Filly
- Half Ours Filly Tops Evangeline 2YO Sale
- NYRA May Lose Skorton as Chairman
- Old Friends Retiree The Name's Jimmy Dies
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Sign 10-Year Deals
- Mucho Macho Man Florida's Horse of the Year
- Haskin's One for the Roses: Honor Code
- Tapiture Breezes For Rebel Stakes