Scorpion heads a field of seven for Saturday's group I Ladbrokes St. Leger Stakes at Doncaster Race Course. This will be the smallest field to face the starter since 1992, when the great filly User Friendly defeated six rivals. The Susan Magnier-Michael Tabor owned colt, one of three group I winners from champion Montjeu's first crop, won the Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris (Fr-I) last time out. He will have the services of jockey Frankie Dettori for this race. Surprisingly, this will only be the second time that the champion jockey and Aidan O'Brien have teamed up. Dettori wound up at Doncaster after Godolphin released him from any other riding commitments for the day. Coolmore's top retained rider, Kieren Fallon, will be in Ireland, riding Oratorio in a group I at Leopardstown.
The main competition for Scorpion appears to be Sir Michael Stoute's colt Hard Top. The son of Darshaan won his last start, the Daily Telegraph Great Voltigeur Stakes (Eng-II) over The Geezer, who also runs Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Trainer D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Winter Not a Serious Threat to Eastern Tent Caterpillar Eggs
- Xpressbet to Sponsor HOF Jockey Challenge
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes