Two-year-old Edenwold racked up his second stakes score in a row at Woodbine Sunday with a 2 ¼-length victory in the $159,900 Vandal Stakes.Zipping six furlongs in 1:10.29, the son of Southern Halo captured the five-horse event for Ontario-breds in much the same way that he won last month's Colin Stakes. He broke sharply from the rail, dueled for the early lead, was headed in mid-stretch by a second rival, and re-rallied gamely for a decisive win.Edenwold dueled with No Dilettante through a half in :45 4/5 with highly regarded Sid Attard trainee Victoria's Boy waiting to pounce. But Victoria's Boy had to settle for second in his first stakes try, finishing two lengths in front of slight favorite Moon Worship, who rallied from fifth to cross the wire in third.Winning trainer Josie Carroll said she wasn't concerned. "(Edenwold) looked comfortable all the way. His ears were up, and he looked relaxed." Jockey David Clark said that post position helped determine the speed strategy. "We drew the one-hole again, which kind of limits your options. He was very comfortable where he was. When I called on him, he punched home."With two stakes wins and $252,090 in earnings to his credit, Edenwold is a rising star for owners Jim and Alice Sapara."Each time he shows up, he gets a little more focused," Carroll said. "The nice thing about this horse is he's so easy on himself on an everyday basis. He'll lope around and do whatever you want in the mornings."Edenwold returned $5.40, $3.00, and $2.10 while Victoria's Boy paid $3.20 and $2.30.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Conquest Titan, Vinceremos Loom in Tampa Bay