A pair of grade III stakes on the grass – the Taylor Made Matchmaker and the Oceanport, both worth $150,000 – are among seven stakes that support the Haskell Invitational (gr. I) on the biggest day of racing at Monmouth Park all year. The other stakes on the card are the $100,000 Regret, the $100,000 Lamplighter, the $100,000 Lady's Secret, the $100,000 Teddy Drone, and the $60,000 Lincroft Handicap.
Total purses for the 14-race program will be $2.02 million, making it the richest day of the year in New Jersey Thoroughbred racing.The Taylor Made Matchmaker, a unique event that offers stallion seasons as part of the prizes to the top three finishers, drew a field of 10 fillies and mares. The Matchmaker goes as the 11th race on the card. Roseland Farm Stables' 5-year-old Smart N Classy, a New Jersey-bred mare who won the Eatontown Handicap (gr. IIT) last time out, drew the outside post with Jose Velez in the irons. Her main rivals in the1 1/8-mile event are Noble Stella and Classic Stamp, who finished one-two in the Dance Smartly Handicap (Can-III) at Woodbine last out. One of the stallion seasons offered is to Northern Afleet , sire of Preakness and Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Afleet Alex.The Oceanport, at 1 1/16 miles, will be run as the ninth race. It drew a field of nine, including the 5-year-old Florida-bred gelding G P Fleet, a multiple stakes winner; the 7-year-old Spruce Run, who was second in the Red Bank Handicap (gr. IIIT) earlier in the meet; and Hotstufanthensome, who has won five of six starts on the Monmouth grass. G P Fleet carries top weight of 122 pounds and will be ridden by Javier Castellano.The Lamplighter Stakes for 3-year-olds goes as the second race and drew a field of seven. Jersey Derby winner Touched by Madness and runner-up Spring House will have a rematch in the one-mile turf test.$150,000 Oceanport Stakes (gr. IIIT, Race 9, 4:17 p.m.), 3 & up, 1 1/16 miles (turf)
PP. Horse, Weight. Jockey
1. G P Fleet (FL), 122, Javier Castellano
2. Spruce Run (KY), 116, Charles C. Lopez
3. Ay Caramba (BRZ), 118, Gary L. Stevens
4. Everything to Gain (KY), 116, Stewart Elliott
5. Stormy Ray (FL), 116, Edwin L. King, Jr.
6. Tam's Terms (MD), 116, Jose A. Velez, Jr.
7. Stormy Roman (FL), 116, Aaron T. Gryder
8. Hotstufanthensome (KY), 118, Rajiv Maragh
9. Cottage (ARG), 116, Christopher P. DeCarlo$150,000 Matchmaker Stakes (gr. IIIT, Race 11, 5:30 p.m.), fillies & mares 3 & up, 1 1/8 miles (turf)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Topiary (KY), 116, Stewart Elliott
2. Love Match (MD), 116, Javier Castellano
3. Humoristic (KY), 116, Steve D. Hamilton
4. Spotlight (GB), 116, Jerry D. Bailey
5. Cat Alert (FL), 118, Christopher P. DeCarlo
6. Emerald Earrings (KY), 116, Jose Lezcano
7. Briviesca (GB), 116, Gary L. Stevens
8. Classic Stamp (ON), 116, Richard Anthony Dos Ramos
9. Noble Stella (GER), 118, Emile Ramsammy
10. Smart N Classy (NJ), 118, Jose A. Velez, Jr.