Cesario, winner of Japanese Oaks (Jpn-I) in her last start on May 22, is scheduled to arrive at Hollywood Park Monday for the $750,000 American Oaks (gr. IT) on July 3, racing secretary Martin Panza said Friday.The Japanese-bred filly scored her fourth victory in five starts by a neck in the Tokyo race, covering 1 1/2 miles on turf in 2:28 4/5.Cesario is trained by Katsuhiko Sumii and will be ridden by Yuichi Fukunaga, who has been aboard in all four of her victories. By Special Week, out of the Sadler's Wells mare Kirov Premiere, Cesario is owned by Fujiya Takahashi's U Carrot Farm.Cesario follows in the footsteps of Dance in the Mood, the first Japanese horse to compete in the American Oaks. Dance in the Mood finished second last year by a length as the favorite behind Ticker Tape.The American Oaks will be run for the fourth time at 1 1/4 miles on grass.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Lord Windermere Prevails in Gold Cup Photo
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Pure Romance to Sponsor Bourbonette Oaks
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- KHRC Drug Tests: Turfway Meet 'Cleanest'
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- KY House Speaker: Gambling Amendment Dead
- Trainer Michael D'Angelo Dies at 55