Trained by Bernie Flint, the Kentucky-bred daughter of Petionville was ridden by Robby Albarado in the Ashland."(Her connections) called me before the Ashland to ride, but Patrick had to be in Hot Springs riding that same day," said Valenzuela's agent, Ronnie Ebanks. "After she ran second last weekend, I was contacted again.
"We're very excited about riding this filly. She's already beaten both Sis City and Summerly. She already won over the Churchill Downs surface when she won the Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) last year, and it's her home track. "Pat told me, 'Get me on her and we'll win the Kentucky Oaks.'"
In addition to the Golden Rod, Runway Model also won the Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) and placed in five other added-money events, including a third-place finish in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I). From a record of 12-4-3-3, Runway Model has banked $713,598.
"She ran great in the Ashland," Valenzuela said. "I'm very much looking forward to her running well in the Oaks."
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Native Diver to Receive New Resting Place
- Mining My Own Produces Bodemeister Filly
- NYRA May Lose Skorton as Chairman
- Half Ours Filly Tops Evangeline 2YO Sale
- Old Friends Retiree The Name's Jimmy Dies
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Sign 10-Year Deals
- Mucho Macho Man Florida's Horse of the Year
- Haskin's One for the Roses: Honor Code
- Tapiture Breezes For Rebel Stakes