Scrofa, ridden patiently by Patrick Valenzuela, rallied between horses and prevailed by a half-length Thursday in the $140,625 Irish O'Brien Stakes for California-bred fillies and mares at Santa Anita Park.
The 2-1 wagering favorite, Scrofa ran about 6 ½ furlongs in 1:13.08 on the hillside turf course and paid $6.20, $3.60 and $3.20. Paul Aguirre is the trainer for Omar Aldabbagh and STD Racing Stable.
In tenth place on the run down the hill, Scrofa remained inside as the field straightened for home, then accelerated strongly and surged between Blind Ambition and Mini Skirt for the victory. It was her sixth win from 19 starts and her fourth from six starts since being claimed for $62,500 last August at Del Mar. A 4-year-old by Unusual Heat, Scrofa earned $84,375 to up her earnings to $296,495.
Blind Ambition, the 5-2 second choice, forged to the lead in the upper stretch but was unable to hold off Scrofa. The runner-up returned $4.40 and $3.40. Northern California-based Our Mango, ridden by Mark Guidry, finished third and paid $4.20.Beneficial Bartok, Tucked Away, Run Rebecca Run, Market Garden, Mini Skirt, Deputy Tombe, The Usual, and Five Star Meeting completed the order of finish.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays