Donn Handicap (gr. I) winner Saint. Liam has joined the probable field for the $1 million Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) March 5, according to racing secretary Rick Hammerle.The mare Island Fashion, second to Southern Image in last year's Big 'Cap, is a possibility for the 1 ¼ mile-event, trainer Marcelo Polanco said Wednesday.
"We have some other races for her as options, but we'll see how the race shapes up," Polanco said.
Saint Liam, a 5-year-old Kentucky-bred horse trained by Richard Dutrow Jr., has a 6-5-1 record from 15 starts with earnings of $1,060,035 for owners Mr. and Mrs. William Warren Jr. He won the Donn at Gulfstream Park on Feb. 5 by 3 3/4 lengths for his first grade I victory. He won the Clark Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs prior to the Donn.
Island Fashion, a 5-year-old gray mare by Petionville , was second in the seven-furlong Santa Monica Handicap (gr. I) as the favorite on Jan. 30. She has a 6-3-0 record from 18 starts with earnings of $1,777,970 for the Everest Stables of Jeffrey Nielsen.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29