Philip and Marcia Cohen's Closing Argument (by Successsful Appeal), winner of the Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 5, "worked great" at Palm Meadows Monday morning, according to trainer Kiaran McLaughlin, speaking shortly after the half-mile move.
"I got him going in :49 2/5 which was just what we wanted," McLaughlin said, "because he did the first part in something like :25 2/5 and came home real nicely the last quarter."McLaughlin said Closing Argument would be trained up to the grade II Fountain of Youth on March 5 and "see how he does," but added that the April 2 Florida Derby (gr. I) is the main objective.Meanwhile, Michael Tabor Derrick Smith's undefeated Bandini (By Fusaichi Pegasus ) breezed five-eighths of a mile in 1:02.60 at Palm Meadows on Sunday in preparation for the Fountain of Youth.Trainer Todd Pletcher said he would send Hutcheson Stakes (gr. II) winner Proud Accolade (Yes It's True ) to New Orleans for the Louisiana Derby (gr. II) and that Vicarage is a possibility for the grade III Swale Stakes on the Fountain of Youth card.Viscarage (Vicar) breezed a half-mile in :49.20 Sunday at Palm Meadows.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Woodbine Announces 2014 Stakes Schedule
- Effort to Resolve Virginia Dates Fails Again
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury