Yougottawanna bounced back from a disappointing effort in the California Cup Classic at Santa Anita with a game victory over stablemate Adreamisborn in the $82,650 Forty-Niner Handicap at Golden Gate Fields Friday.
Yougottawanna, ridden by Chad Schvaneveldt, took command from fellow frontrunner Kristine's King at the top of the stretch and then just held off Adreamisborn to win the 1 1/16 mile race for 3-year-olds and up by a neck in 1:42.16.
Jerry Hollendorfer trains both Yougottawanna and Adreamisborn.Owned by Peter Redekop, Yougottawanna has nine wins, seven seconds and four thirds in 30 career starts and $574,124 in earnings. The Forty-Niner was the sixth stakes victory for Yougottawanna, a 5-year-old gelding by Candi's Gold.
"He sure is game," said Schvaneveldt, who rode Yougottawanna for the first time Friday. "About 100 yards from the wire I thought I was beat, but he kept digging. He's a classy horse."
Adreamisborn, who was coupled with another Hollendorfer runner, Gold Ruckus (who finished seventh), made a good run at Yougottawanna but ran out of real estate. Russell Baze rode Adreamisborn, who was making his first start since finishing fifth in the Kentucky Cup Classic at Turfway Park on Sept. 18.
"A couple of more jumps and we'd have had him," said Baze. Yougottawanna paid $13.80 as the third choice in the wagering. The entry was favored at 4-5. Kristine's King, who finished eighth, was the second choice at 9-2.
Hollendorfer has won 20 stakes in Northern California this year. (Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru