Ridden by Gary Stevens for trainer Christopher Paasch, Hello Lucky took the lead along the rail in the first quarter-mile of the six-furlong Anoakia. She pulled clear of her nine opponents at the top of the stretch, challenged only by No Bull Baby and jockey Rene Douglas, who finished strongly but came up short. The winning time for the six-furlong test for for 2-year-old fillies was 1:10.
Hello Lucky, daughter of Lucky Lionel-Mystery Number (Secret Hello), carried 118 pounds and paid $6.60, $4 and $3.60. No Bull Baby paid $8 and $6.40. Bulita, ridden by Garrett Gomez, paid $12 to show.
She's a Jewel, the 8-5 favorite, broke slowly and was never a factor, finishing ninth.
The winner, who began her career two-for-two, earned $50,940, bringing her total to $142,140. Hello Lucky was a $4,000 sale at the Ocala Breeders' Sale in 2003. Her owner is Charles Cono of San Diego. (Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru