Perennial Bay Area training champion Jerry Hollendorfer is pointing Yougottawanna to the $250,000 California Cup Classic, marquee race for California Cup XV presented by the Oak Tree Racing Association at Santa Anita on Saturday. Yougottawanna is a consistent 5-year-old gelded son of Candi's Gold who has eight wins, seven seconds and four thirds from 28 starts.
"The horse is doing well and we'll probably run," Hollendorfer said. "If we go, Russell Baze will ride him."
Yougottawanna registered a major upset at Santa Anita as a 2-year-old when he defeated 2-5 favorite Officer in the 2001 California Cup Juvenile. In his most recent race, the Governor's Handicap at Sacramento, Yougottawanna carried 120 pounds to a 1 ½-length victory at 1 1/8 miles, the same distance as the Classic. In his last eight races, Yougottawanna has been favored in six, including the last five in a row.
Probable for the Classic: Anziyan Royalty, David Flores; Calkins Road, Rene Douglas; Commander's Flag, Victor Espinoza; Cozy Guy, no rider; Excess Summer, no rider; Kedington, Omar Figueroa; Lava Man, no rider; Tizbud, Tyler Baze; and Yougottawanna, Russell Baze. Tizbud, who won last year's Cal Cup Classic but has been on the sidelines since, worked a mile Saturday in 1:38 3/5.He was ridden by Victor Espinoza in his six career starts but John Sadler has engaged Tyler Baze to ride the son of Cee's Tizzy. "Espinoza took off to ride another horse (Commander's Flag for Jeff Mullins)," Sadler said.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- 'Derby Poker Bourbon Bash' to Benefit TCA
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses