- 155 lots sold (record)
- $3,778,750 (U.S. $2,618,383) gross (record)
- average of $24,379 ($16,894) (record)
- 17% RNA rate (record)Little wonder Inglis was upbeat. "This is the strongest weanling sale we have ever held at Newmarket, with many buyers commenting it is the right time of the year to buy weanlings and the buying bench came from all over the world."The top price went to boom freshman Sire Redoute's Choice, the highly credentialed multiple group I winning son of Danehill. His filly from the mare Cool Chick (by Centaine) fetched $200,000 ($138,605).Melbourne trainer John Salanitri paid the top price, as well second top price of $180,000 ($124,774) for a Dehere--Centoria filly.
When Redoute's Choice covered Cool Chick he stood for $33,000 ($22,870) so $200,000 is a huge return on that investment.Coolmore officials were pleased with the ongoing interest in Fusaichi Pegasus and the groundswell of support for the former Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner is on a steady upward curve now that his debut crop in Australia is being broken. He had but one offering, from the unraced Thunder Gulch mare Thunderstorms, and it reached a healthy $165,000 ($114,800)."We didn't offer him," said Coolmore's Australian boss Michael Kirwin, "but I can tell you we were very proud of him anyway. A cracking type and he could very well fetch three times that when sold as a yearling." He was bought by an agent of Inglis'.Galileo (Sadler's Wells--Urban Sea) showcased his debut batch too and his results were spectacular also. He was represented by just two weanlings, one fetched $100,000 ($69,500) (out of Verdigris, by Twig Moss), and the other reached $80,000 (out of Tristavente, by Sir Tristram).Down the scale, solid results were achieved by two home grown stallions who were both exceptionally fast stakes winners during their day. Marechal (Danzero--Gourette) off a $4,500 ($3,120) stud fee, had one go through and it reached $15,000. Magic Albert (Zeditave--Sally Lou) had his first public offerings inspected and off an $8,000 ($5,440) fee he sold two for $23,000.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29