Thomas, a retired veterinarian, owned Matron Farm on Old Frankfort Pike, near Lexington, and later, co-owned nearby High Point Farm with Caesar Kimmel. Thomas was well-known both for his work as a veterinarian, as well as his accomplishments as a breeder. Among the stakes winners bred by him was Our Native, who stood at High Point until his death in 2001 at the age of 31. Our Native ran third to Secretariat and Sham in the 1973 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I). He won the Monmouth Invitational (gr. I) later that year. As a stallion, Our Native sired 49 stakes winners.
Calling will be held from 1-5 p.m. Sunday at Dr. Thomas' home on Alexandria Drive. A funeral mass will be held at 10 a.m. Monday morning at Pax Christi parish in Lexington.
Most Popular Stories
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Trainer Chuck Treece Collects 1,000th Win
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Apprentice Boulanger Guides in First Winner
- Lexington Tracks Eye Instant Racing Licenses
- WV Racing, Breeding Take 10% Revenue Hit
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays