Ridden by Mike Smith at 121 pounds, Bear Fan ran about 6 ½ furlongs in 1:12 3/5 on the hillside turf course and paid $7, $4.40 and $3.20. Wesley Ward is the trainer and co-owner with Peter Fan.
It was the second straight victory for Bear Fan, the winner of last month's Barbara Fritchie (gr. II) at Laurel Race Course in Maryland. The 5-year-old Pine Bluff bay mare has won six of 10 overall with earnings of $408,150. Bear Fan earned $66,180 for the victory. Super High, Alex Solis riding at 121 pounds, outfinished Bold Roberta for second place and returned $5 and $3.40. Bold Roberta, Gary Stevens aboard at 116 pounds, finished third and paid $3.80.Icantgoforthat, the 5-2 favorite in the field of nine, was forced to steady late and was nosed out for third under jockey Tyler Baze.Baze lodged a foul claim against Smith, whose mount came in slightly under right-handed urging in the stretch, but stewards disallowed it. "She's a classy mare, you never worry too much about her," Smith said of Bear Fan. As for the foul claim, "I was two lengths clear. I don't know what he was doing, to tell you the truth."
In a second feature, the $70,000 Pasadena Stakes for 3-year-olds, Unrivalled and jockey Emile Ramsammy teamed up for a gigantic upset in the one-mile turf race. An English-bred trained by James Cassidy, Unrivalled paid $88.80 after winning his American debut in 1:34 4/5.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win