The gelded son of Nureyev -- Ring Beaune, by Bering finished eighth in the Oct. 25 Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) and has spent the past four months getting some R&R at a nearby farm.
"He pulled a muscle in the Breeders' Cup," Canani said. "He had a terrible trip. David Flores had to check, check, check. It was bad.
"It's nice to have him back, though. He's been back for about a week. He'll talk walk for now and then go back to the track in about two weeks. I really haven't picked out any spots for him yet, but we're going to focus on the Eddie Read (gr. IT) at Del Mar."
Special Ring peaked at Del Mar last summer, winning the Eddie Read and setting the nine-furlong course record of 1:42.87, as well as the one-mile Wickerr Handicap in a track record time of 1:32.72. He also placed second in the American Handicap (gr. IIT) and Shoemaker Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT). He began his career in France where he won the Prix Saint-Patrick and Prix Altipan and also finished third in the Prix Daphnis (gr. IIIT). Overall he's banked $675,023 from a record of 25-9-4-3.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online