Tapit Works 7 Furlongs Between Races at Laurel

Tapit Works 7 Furlongs Between Races at Laurel
Photo: Maryland Jockey Club/Jim McCue
Tapit, working at Laurel Park on Wednesday.
Winchell Thoroughbreds' Tapit, winner of the Laurel Futurity (gr. III), shipped to Laurel Wednesday afternoon where he worked seven furlongs between races in 1:29 3/5 in company with two other horses trained by Michael Dickinson.

With Dickinson orchestrating the work, Tapit was kept behind his workmates, Royal Win and Silver Singer, by jockey Ramon Dominguez through fractions of :27, :53, and 1:18 1/5. As per instructions, the riders of the two workmates opened a hole and Tapit stormed through, getting his last eighth in :11 3/5, galloping out an additional furlong in about :13.

Dickinson then drove back to his Tapeta Farm, where he was scheduled to scope the horse before calling the owners to discuss where to run next. One option that has been mentioned is the Florida Derby (gr. I) March 13.

"The decision is 100% their call," Dickinson said.

As for the work, Dickinson said, "He worked OK. It was a very good dress rehearsal. He's only raced twice in his life and I didn't want to take him straight to a race without a little bit of practice. So today was a van ride, time in the receiving barn, important time in the paddock and then a nice workout. On the whole I think the breeze went pretty well. I was quite pleased as a whole with the work. I am really glad we came, it was a very necessary classroom exercise."

Dominguez added, "I was very happy with him. The fractions were
pretty slow for him and I had a handful of horse all the way around. Just like in his last race he did it very easy and galloped out great."

Dickinson said he may bring Tapit back to Laurel for another work before the colt's 3-year-old debut. Tapit had been sent to Palm Meadows training center to point for the Risen Star Stakes (gr. III), but bad weather and a shin problem cost him too much time, and the colt was sent back to Tapeta Farm, where had two works before vanning down to Laurel.

Earlier this year, the Winchell family turned down a $3 million offer for the horse from owner Michael Gill.

Most Popular Stories