Challenging Funny Cide will be Edmund Gann's Medaglia d'Oro, a multiple grade 1 winner for Eclipse Award-winning trainer Bobby Frankel. The 5-year-old son of El Prado has been training steadily in California for his first start since finishing second in the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) at Santa Anita last October. He will be ridden by Jerry Bailey, who just won a record seventh Eclipse Award. Hall of Fame trainer Allen Jerkens will likely play a pair of aces in the Donn, saddling both Joseph Shields Jr.'s Puzzlement and Martin Schwartz's Bowman's Band. The two prepped for the Donn in the grade 3 Hal's Hope Handicap on Jan. 3, when Puzzlement beat his stablemate by a neck.
Others who might make the starting gate for the Donn are Richard Simon's The Judge Sez Who, third in the Jan. 24 Sunshine Millions Classic, and Mount Joy Stables' Predawn Raid, who won the Dec. 27 Fred Hooper Handicap (gr. III) at Calder.
Most Popular Stories
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online
- Lord Windermere Prevails in Gold Cup Photo
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Pure Romance to Sponsor Bourbonette Oaks
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays