Fudge Fatale, the longest shot in the field at 55-1, opened a long early lead and held off Polygreen in the stretch for a shocking 1-¼ length victory Wednesday in the $76,850 Tuzla Handicap for fillies and mares at Santa Anita Park.
Ridden by Jose Valdivia Jr. at 113 pounds, Fudge Fatale ran one mile in 1:34 2/5 on firm turf and paid a whopping $112.20 to win, $22.20 to place and $8.60 to show. Beau Greely trains the winner for his brother, John J. Greely III.
Polygreen, the even-money favorite ridden by Alex Solis at 117 pounds, finished well to take second and returned $3 and $2.60.
It was one length back to Fun House, Mike Smith riding at 117 pounds, and a $3 show payoff. A 4-year-old Kentucky-bred filly by Roar, Fudge Fatale had been off since Oct. 12, when she finished seventh in the $113,000 Harold C. Ramser Sr. Handicap at Oak Tree. She was winless in five starts dating to a victory in a May 24 allowance race at Hollywood Park.
In the Tuzla, Fudge Fatale was hustled to the lead, opened a 3 ½-length advantage while setting splits of :23, :46 1/5 and 1:09 4/5, maintained a three-length lead into the stretch, and then held off Polygreen in the race to the wire.
Fudge Fatale has a 3-2-1 record from 13 starts overall. The $46,110 first prize increased her earnings to $138,130.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Pressure Off Sherman After 'Chrome's Dazzler
- Judy the Beauty Looks Splendid in Las Flores
- Ramseys' Major Marvel Takes Barbados Gold Cup
- Santa Anita Handicap Handle Increases 23%
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Florida Derby Card to Receive Purse Incentive
- Hernandez Reaches 1,000th Victory Milestone
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe