Songandaprayer, winner of the Fountain of Youth, worked at Keeneland on Friday.

Songandaprayer, winner of the Fountain of Youth, worked at Keeneland on Friday.

Associated Press/ Equi-Photo, Bill Denver)

Songandaprayer Works; Accident Disrupts Keeneland Training Regimen

Devil Eleven Stable and D J Stable's Fountain of Youth (gr. I) Songandaprayer worked five furlongs in a quick :59 2/5 at Keeneland Racecourse Friday morning in preparation for the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I).

"I wanted him to do it a little easier than that," trainer John Dowd said, noting that the 3-year-old son of Unbridled's Song got caught up with two other horses that were working at the same time. "He did it well in hand."

The workout by the bay colt with the distinctive blaze was held up for more than an hour when Keeneland's main track was closed due to a training accident.

Antsinmypants, who had worked a half-mile in :48 1/5, stumbled and fell, unseating exercise rider Patty Clarkson. Loose on the track, the 3-year-old colt collided with Ruxsh, who was galloping with exercise rider Tony Shaw aboard. Both horses went down and Antsinmypants, an Elliott Walden trained colt who won the OBS Sprint eventually recovered and returned to his barn.

Ruxsh, however, remained on the track while veterinarians treated him. After a lengthy period of attempting to get Ruxsh to stand, the decision was finally made to euthanize the 5-year-old gelding. Roger Attfield, who trained Ruxsh, said the winner of the 1999 Vice Regent Stakes apparently suffered a broken neck, but that an autopsy would be performed.

Walden assistant Todd Graves said Antsinmypants suffered a bruised right scapula and was being treated with cold packs and anti-inflammatories.

Neither Clarkson nor Shaw was injured.

Also during training hours at Keeneland on Friday, opening day of the spring meet, another horse died when he suffered a heart attack. Chief Minister, a 5-year-old son of Deputy Minister owned by Joseph LaCombe, died after working five furlongs in 1:02 1/5. Mary Jo Lohmeier, the horse's trainer who was also aboard during the workout, had a bruised nose.