"They asked me if it was OK if they named her after me and I said yes," Pesci said. "Then I thought if the horse is named after me I might as well own part of her."
New Jersey native Pesci has been a lifelong racing fan, spending time at Monmouth Park and several other tracks, and has been a regular visitor to Santa Anita and Hollywood Park over the past several years. Though Pesci is his first racehorse, he's no stranger to horse care. As a young man he worked at a local stable.
"I remember cleaning stalls and the huge mounds of manure steaming in the cold weather," Pesci said.
Pesci won the Academy Award for his portrayal of the mobster Tommy DeVito in the movie "Goodfellas" and has also starred in such notable films as "My Cousin Vinny," "Raging Bull," two "Lethal Weapon" installments, "Home Alone" and "Casino."
According to Pesci, he will "definitely be there" when his namesake makes her debut next week.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru