Riskaverse is the sole graded stakes winner among a field of 11 expected to start Sunday in the $150,000 Lake Placid Handicap (gr. IIT) at Saratoga.
The 3-year-old daughter of Dynaformer is second choice in the morning line at 4-1 because she comes into the 1 1/8-mile turf race off an eighth place finish in the inaugural $500,000 American Oaks Stakes at Hollywood Park. Two races back, however, she won the Sands Point Stakes (gr. III) at Belmont Park by a head. Risaverse, trained by Patrick Kelly, is the highweight at 120 pounds.
Slight favorite in the race is Maliziosa, who is trained by Bill Mott. Another Dynaformer daughter, she finished seventh in the American Oaks but has won four of her eight starts on the grass. Maliziosa also has won the $100,000 Summertime Promise Breeders' Cup Stakes at Hawthorne Race Course and the $100,000 Edgewood Stakes at Churchill Downs.
Riskaverse will be ridden by Robbie Davis, while Mark Guidry has the call on Maliziosa.
The entire Lake Placid field is as follows:
1) Sugar Dipped, Javier Castellano, 114, 8-1,
2) Clefairy, Jose Santos, 118, 8-1,
3) Kirtle, Mike Smith, 116, 9-2,
4) Tarnished Lady, John Velazquez, 115, 6-1,
5) Bells for Martin, Pat Day, 116, 8-1,
6) Wonder Again, Edgar Prado, 114, 8-1
7) Maliziosa, Mark Guidry, 118, 3-1,
8) Riskaverse, Robbie Davis, 120, 4-1,
9) Miss Marcia, Larry Melancon, 114, 12-1
10) Fly Borboleta, no rider, 116, 12-1
11) Amarelle, no rider, 115, 5-1.