Waterville Lake Stable's Derrianne made her first start in the U.S. a winning one, confidently stalking the pacesetters and then charging to victory in the $147,000 Martha Washington Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at Pimlico.The Kentucky-bred daughter of Cozzene had raced seven times in France before joining the New York stable of trainer Christophe Clement in late August. She worked four times at Belmont Park before trying stakes company. Sent to the post as the 8-5 favorite in a seven-horse field under jockey Brice Blanc, Derrianne stalked pacesetters Impolite and Little Miss Pamela before slipping into overdrive racing down the homestretch. She took the lead about a furlong from home and finished out the 1-1/16th mile distance in 1:46.53 over the good going. Chic Joy rallied into second, two lengths ahead of Twining and Dining, who finished a neck better than Gal O Gal. "She didn't handle the track too well but she showed a lot of heart, a lot of desire," Blanc said of the winner. "When I asked her to go down the lane she gave me a kick and she was definitely the best of them. Sometimes the first time in the country you don't know if they're going to break good."Derrianne earned $90,000 for her third career victory – her first in a graded or group race – in eight starts. She has earnings of more than $150,000.The winner paid $5.20, $3.40 and $3.80. Chic Joy returned $6.20 and $4. Twining and Dining's show was $5.80.Impolite, the 5-2 second favorite, finished last.Nault, Ladyecho, Randaroo, City Fire, Coquettish, Feisty Bull, Sarie Marais scratched.
Most Popular Stories
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Chad Brown Fillies Vie for Florida Oaks