The Frankel and Juddmonte team also has the horse to beat in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) in Empire Maker, the Humana Distaff (gr. I), where Sightseek is favored. Frankel also trains the Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. III) favortie, Aldebaran.
Heat Haze, the half-sister to 2001 Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. I) winner Banks Hill, won the Las Cienegas (gr. III) at Santa Anita in her most recent start. She is the 3-1 morning-line choice under jockey Jose Valdivia.
Other contenders among the 15 entrees include stakes veterans Quick Tip and Maliziosa and Ghislaine Head's French import Dedication, a narrow loser in her only U.S. start for trainer Christophe Clement. The Thoroughbred Corp's Stylish, the 2002 winner of the race, is on the list of also-eligibles.
Citgo Distaff Turf Mile Stakes (gr. IIIT), fillies & mares 3 & up, 1 mile on turf
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Presumed Innocent (KY), Alex O. Solis, 121, 15/1
2. Bag of Stars (KY), Shane J. Sellers, 117, 30/1
3. Pina Colada (GB), Edgar S. Prado, 121, 12/1
4. Heat Haze (GB), Jose Valdivia, Jr., 123, 3/1
5. Dedication (FR), Jerry D. Bailey, 121, 7/2
6. Love Talkin (KY), Jon Kenton Court, 115, 15/1
7. Maliziosa (FL), Patrick A. Valenzuela, 121, 5/1
8. Sentimental Value (KY), Kent J. Desormeaux. 121, 10/1
9. Salty Farma (KY), Lonnie Meche, 117, 20/1
10. Mimi's Tizzy (CA), Calvin H. Borel, 115, 30/1
11. Quick Tip (KY), Robby Albarado, 123, 5/1
12. Strait From Texas (KY), Pat Day, 123, 8/1
13. Madame Cerito (KY), Jose A. Santos, 115, 8/1
14. Red n'Gold (KY), Shane J. Sellers, 115, 20/1
15. Stylish (KY), Cornelio H. Velasquez, 121, 10/1