"We'll be back (buying) at the 2-year-old sales next year," Bob Lewis said.The Lewises did not attend the Fasig-Tipton July or Saratoga yearling sales, but they plan be at Keeneland in September to watch their yearlings go through the ring.
Robert and Beverly Lewis, two of the biggest spenders in the Thoroughbred marketplace, will not be buying any yearlings this year at public auction."Mrs. Lewis and I are taking a rest," said Bob Lewis on Thursday. "In part, there are some personal reasons, but I am also in the process of selling my business and that is of paramount importance to me. In addition, we are trying to cut down on our numbers; we are feeding about 125 horses now. We'll be selling five yearlings this year and about 25 broodmares."Last year, the Lewises were the fourth-leading buyers of yearlings in North America, spending $7.13 million for 19 head.