"I was impressed. He's a nice horse," Howard said Sunday. "He'll be good with older horses. He's a big, strong horse and he doesn't look like a 3-year-old. He even looks like an older horse. That horse is a pretty good horse."
The tentative schedule for Mineshaft includes the Sept. 6 Woodward (gr. I) and the Sept. 27 Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), both at Belmont Park, before the Breeders' Cup.
"It looks like it could be one of the best Classics in the last few years," Howard said. "Mineshaft is doing great. Everything's gone uncharacteristically smooth for him all season long. I just hope it goes like that the rest of the year."
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- NH House Rejects Expanded Gaming Bill Again
- Woodbine Announces 2014 Stakes Schedule
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Effort to Resolve Virginia Dates Fails Again
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta