"The x-rays were negative," O'Bryan said. "He's still in the hospital in Chicago and they're doing an MRI today as a precaution because he's extremely sore, but as of now it appears he was very lucky and didn't break anything."
Stevens was aboard Gainsborough Farm's Storming Home when the horse veered out sharply after spooking at something a few yards before the finish line, tossing the rider to the turf where he was then run over by a rival horse.
Storming Home crossed the wire in front, but was disqualified to fourth after the stewards ruled the horse had impeded two of the top three horses who finished behind him.
"The DQ is unfortunate, but the most important thing is that Gary is going to be all right," O'Bryan said.It was also costly. Steven's would have earned $60,000 for his 10 percent riding share of the $600,000 winning purse. Fourth money was worth $5,000 to Stevens.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail