The projection, traditionally announced at the time of The Jockey Club Round Table Conference, is computed by using Reports of Mares Bred (RMB's) so far received for the 2003 breeding season. RMB's are to be filed by August 1 of each breeding season.
The 2004 estimate represents a slight increase against the 37,000 foals forecast for 2003. The estimated 2002 registered Thoroughbred foal crop of 35,600 reflects the impact of MRLS, which reduced the Kentucky foal crop by approximately 20 percent. The 2001 registered Thoroughbred foal crop is projected at 36,800.
Foal registration is to be completed within 12 months of the birth of the foal. However, late registration is available for additional fees, making actual foal crop counts problematic before Dec. 31 of the crop's two-year-old year, the time by which the vast majority of the foal crop has been registered. Additional foal crop information is available in The Jockey Club's Online Fact Book, accessible through www.jockeyclub.com.
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Honor Code to Bypass Rebel, Run at Gulfstream
- Judy the Beauty Leads Las Flores Shippers
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- Midshipman Colt Posts Fastest Ocala Drill
- Sweet Reason Comes Back a Winner
- Stakes Winner S. S. Hot Sauce Dead at 33
- Portion of Vinceremos' Earnings to Charity
- Riposte Heads Solid Hillsborough Field
- Big 'Cap was 'Holy Grail' for Trainer Jones