Edgewood Farms Pollard's Vision, second last time in the Ohio Derby (gr. II), tops a field of nine 3-year-olds entered in the $250,000 Leonard Richards (gr. III) at 1 1/16 miles at Delaware Park Sunday.
The son of Carson City
was beaten by three lengths by Brass Hat in the 1 1/8-mile Ohio Derby at Thistledown on June 12. Previously, the Kentucky-bred trained by Todd Pletcher finished unplaced in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) on May 1. Preparing for the Derby he captured the $500,000 Illinois Derby (gr. II) in April at Hawthorne Park. He has a career record of three wins, three seconds and three thirds from twelve starts with earnings of $515,811.
Jerry Bailey rides the likely favorite, who carries high weight of 122 pounds.
The second choice is Cobra Farm and Castletop Farm's improving Trieste's Honor. In his latest, the 3-year-old son of Stormy Atlantic
, who was third in the Ohio Derby, beaten a total of eight lengths. The Michael Matz trainee won the 1 1/8-mile California Derby at Bay Meadows on April 17. He sports a career record of three wins and a pair of third-place finishes from nine starts with earnings of $130,330.
Dashboard Drummer was second to Royal Assault, trained by Nick Zito, in the Sir Barton Stakes May 15.
Royal Assault isn't in the Richards, but Zito's Pies Prospect comes off a 5 1/2-length score in the Floor Show Stakes June 22 over the Delaware Park strip.$250,000 Leonard Richards Stakes (gr. III), 3-year-olds, 1 1/16 mile
PP. HORSE, JOCKEY, WEIGHT, ML ODDS
1. Trieste's Honor, Cornelio Velazquez, 115, 4-1
2. Pies Prospect, Norberto Arroyo Jr., 115, 6-1
3. Britt's Jules, Guy Smith, 115, 10-1
4. Pollard's Vision, Jerry Bailey, 122, 3-1
5. Gmork, Jeremy Rose, 115, 12-1
6. Joe Six Pack, Mario Pino, 115, 12-1
7. Dashboard Drummer, Ramon Dominguez, 115, 9-2
8. Big City Spender, Craig Perret, 115, 8-1
9. Ecclesiastic, Victor Espinoza, 115, 8-1