Owner Guenther Wins $2.1 Million Pick Six

A California and Del Mar record Pick Six payoff was set Aug. 1 when a single ticket containing all six winners, held mostly by Desperado Stables owner Scott Guenther, was worth $2,100,117.

With a two-day carryover of $717,343 and $2,490,228 wagered Sunday, there was a total Pick Six pool of $3,207,571.

Winning Pick Six horses, all non-favorites for races four through nine, were Gent, $11; Smokette, $17.60; Short Route, $106.20; Ya Lajwaad, $15.40; Choctaw Nation, $14.60, and Golden Souvenir, $8.20.

The winning ticket was purchased on track at Del Mar for $1,176.

Major shareholder in the successful ticket was owner Guenther, who races under the nom de course of Desperado Stables, a partner in the ownership of 2003 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) winner Buddy Gil, trained by Jeff Mullins.

Guenther said it was "pretty bold and daring to single" Golden Souvenir, trained by Mullins, in the last race. But he said including Short Route, the 52-1 shot who won the sixth race, was "pretty easy."

"I own a piece of Mud Route (the winner's sire), but that's not the reason," he said. "I didn't do it out of emotion. He's getting really precocious young runners. And I think the horse is out of a Phone Trick mare, and I just saw Mud Route over Phone Trick and since it was a short race, I figured speed and precocity, so I said I gotta' include the horse."

Guenther had 80% of the ticket. Three partners split the other 20%.

It was a nice day for Mullins as well. He sent out Choctaw Nation to upset odds-on favorite Pleasantly Perfect in the San Diego Handicap (gr. II) and also won with Golden Souvenir, owned by Golden Eagle Farm.

The Pick Six payoff eclipsed that of $1,528,818.60 paid out last year on the same calendar day – Aug. 1, 2003. That was the previous state record as well.

The national record for a Pick Six payoff is $3,068,138.60. It was accomplished at Gulfstream Park on Nov. 6, 1999 in the Breeders' Cup Ultra Pick Six.