An international field of 13 runners will attempt to capture one of the most prestigious turf races on the North American calendar Saturday as they line up for the $1 million Arlington Million (gr. IT) over 10 furlongs at Arlington Park.
Runners from Ireland, Great Britain, Germany, Canada, and the United States will compete, with trainers such as Ron McAnally, Saeed bin Suroor, Bob Baffert, Aidan O'Brien, Bobby Frankel, and Paulo Lobo represented.
Red Oak Stable's Sweet Return was installed the 7-2 favorite for McAnally coming off a third in the Eddie Reed (gr. IT) at Del Mar July 25. Powerscourt, a Great Britain bred for Mrs. John Magnier, was next fancied at 4-1. He took the Tattersalls Gold Cup (Ire-I) in May.
Bob and Beverly Lewis' Senor Swinger, winner of the Arlington Handicap (gr. IIIT) over the Arlington turf in July, will see betting action, as will Gary Tanaka's Epalo, who took the Singapore Cup (Sing-I) in May. Another sharp entrant is Mr. O'Brien, third in the Manhattan Handicap (gr. IT) and second in the United Nations Handicap (gr. IT) most recently. Besides Senor Swinger, Baffert will also saddle Sabiango for owner Monty Roberts, winner of the Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap (gr. IT) at Hollywood Park in June.
The field for the Arlington Million, in post position order with morning line odds and jockeys:
1) Mr. O'Brien, 8-1, Pat Day
2) Vespone, 12-1, Frankie Dettori
3) Sweet Return, 7-2, Jerry Bailey
4) Kicken Kris, 8-1, Kent Desormeaux
5) Sabiango, 6-1, Victor Espinoza
6) Mystery Giver, 15-1, Rene Douglas
7) Epalo, 8-1, Andrasch Starke
8) Senor Swinger, 12-1, Brice Blanc
9) Vangelis, 10-1, Jose Valdivia Jr.
10) Powerscourt, 4-1, Jamie Spencer
11) Hatif, 50-1, Mike Smith
12) Magistretti, 30-1, Edgar Prado
13) Mobil, 20-1, Jono Jones