Willmott Stable's Eddington, a major contender in the 3-year-old division all season for trainer Mark Hennig, makes his grass course debut in the Calder Derby (gr. IIIT) at 1 1/8 miles Saturday.
Eddington, a chestnut colt by Unbridled, has run well but had to settle for minor awards this year when third in the Wood Memorial, Preakness Stakes and Travers Stakes (all gr. I). He finished second last out in the Pegasus Stakes (gr. III) at Meadowlands. Jockey Eibar Coa will be aboard for the first time.
Eddington's chief rival in the full field of 12 may be Arthur Appleton's Icy Atlantic, also invading from New York. Trained by Todd Pletcher and to be ridden by Jerry Bailey, the homebred son of Stormy Atlantic
already is an accomplished turf stakes performer, winning the Jersey Derby (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park and Lexington Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Belmont, although disqualified from the latter score. $200,000 Calder Derby (gr. IIIT), 3-year-olds, 1 1/8 miles (turf)
PP., Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Bob's Proud Moment (FL), 116, Sebastian O. Madrid
2. Capias (FL), 116, Cornelio H. Velasquez
3. Eddington (KY), 114, Eibar Coa
4. Wire Bound (FL), 116, Manoel R. Cruz
5. Icy Atlantic (FL), 118, Jerry D. Bailey
6. Silversandsoftime (FL), 116, Gary Boulanger
7. Uncivil (KY), 116, Eddie Castro
8. Cervelo (FL), 116, Julio A. Garcia
9. Caballero Negro (KY), 114, Elias Peltroche
10. Halo Goodbye (FL), 114, Leroy Nelson
11. Soverign Honor (FL), 116, Manuel Aguilar
12. Cool Conductor (KY), 121, Jose A. SantosAlso Eligible
13. Frolic for Joy (KY), 114, Manuel Aguilar
14. Dashboard Drummer (OK), 112, Joe Bravo
15. Nightmare Affair (FL), 112, Aurelio Toribio, Jr.