Brass Hat, winner of the Indiana Derby (gr. II) on Oct. 3, goes for his third derby win of the year in the $250,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III) Friday in Grand Prairie, Texas.
Brass Hat also won the Rushaway in March and the Ohio Derby (gr. II) this year at long odds. Sent off at 10-1 at Hoosier, the William "Buff" Bradley-trained gelding is the morning line favorite this time around at odds of 3-1. Willie Martinez again has the mount.
The Kentucky-bred offspring of Prized
would be favored for the first time in is career. He has earned $624,430 for owner/breeder Fred F. Bradley, the trainer's father.
Graded stakes winners Pollard's Vision, Pies Prospect, Skipaslew and Flamethrowintexan line up against Brass Hat as part of a 13-horse field in the 1 1/16-mile event.
Pollard's Vision, who second to Brass Hat in Ohio and ran a troubled sixth in the Ohio Derby, probably presents the biggest challenge. Trainer Todd Pletcher gave the call to his first rider, John Velazquez.
Pies Prospect won the Pegasus Handicap (gr. III) over Eddington Oct. 1 for trainer Nick Zito.
Flamethrowintexan comes off an 8 1/2-length win in the British Columbia Derby (Can-III) at Hastings Park Sept. 25 for trainer Jim Penney. Ricky Frazier takes the call.
Cryptograph, the Round Table winner who adds blinkers, Super Derby (gr. II) third-place finisher Britt's Jules, and Emerald Breeders' Cup Derby winner My Creed add to a competitive field.$250,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III), 3-year-olds, 1 1/16 miles
PP. Horse, Jockey, ML Odds
1. Skipaslew (VA), Lanfranco Dettori, 20/1
2. Cryptograph (KY), Donald R. Pettinger, 8/1
3. Tricky Taboo (KY), John Byrne, 30/1
4. Pollard's Vision (KY), John R. Velazquez, 4/1
5. Flamethrowintexan (FL), Ricky Frazier, 15/1
6. Brass Hat (KY), Willie Martinez, 3/1
7. Britt's Jules (FL), David Romero Flores, 8/1
8. Willionaire (KY), Casey T. Lambert, 50/1
9. Cut and Shoot (ON), Jose A. Santos, 12/1
10. Pies Prospect (KY), Edgar S. Prado, 5/1
11. With Distinction (KY), Rafael Bejarano, 10/1
12. My Creed (KY), Miguel A. Perez, 15/1
13. Charming Socialite (TX), Larry Taylor, 30/1